What WE do at Cascadia to ensure everyone’s safety
We have at least two staff members greeting you at 9:15am at Drop-Off in the north parking lot. These staff members are there to help maintain a safe zone for students being dropped off and for families crossing in the crosswalk by the gym. 1st and 2nd graders go to the back courtyard for morning supervision. 5th graders go to the gym. 3rd and 4th graders go to the front playground. On rainy-day drop-off days students proceed directly to their classroom.
Supervision starts at 9:15am. The first bell rings at 9:30am, and school starts at 9:35am. If your child is late they should report to the office for a late dot before proceeding to class.
Our bus zone, located on 43rd Ave, is a pretty smooth-running operation. We now have at least two adults, often more, attending to students as they arrive off the busses. In the afternoon, we have 4 staff members supervising bus loading in the north lot by the gym, helping to ensure appropriate behavior while waiting, and escorting students to their respective buses. Should buses be late, the district transportation department sends robo-calls to families. It is important that your information is up to date with transportation.
What YOU can do at Cascadia to ensure everyone’s safety
Attending to Drop-off:
- Drop-Off begins at 9:15 a.m. Please wait to drop off students until then. Cars can line up single-file and wait.
- Please approach our drop-off zone with the idea of best intentions, care, and respect for those navigating you through the process.
- Especially in winter, visibility from automobiles decreases exponentially. Please exercise extreme caution when entering intersections surrounding our campus. Thank you.
- Please use crosswalks. All too often we see families sprint across undesignated sections of the parking lot right in front of the parking lot entrance. This year we've had two near-misses. There is no reason we should be teaching our children to cross anywhere but at designated
crosswalks. Our actions become theirs.
- When dropping off in the north lot, please have students exit out the passenger side (school side) of the vehicles. If you need to get out of your vehicle to help your student(s), please park in the lot and help them rather than create congestion in the drop-off line.
- Finally, please refrain from using your cell phone while in the drop-off area.
- Due to public safety concerns, a stop sign was installed at the end of the driveway that runs along Woodlawn Avenue. We have had some near misses as our vehicles pull out onto Woodlawn not seeing and/or yielding to pedestrians. As a safety precaution, when you exit the north lot after dropping off your students, please make sure you come to a full stop at the stop sign before slowly merging onto Woodlawn Avenue. We greatly appreciate this extra effort.
Attending to Pick-up:
- Pick-Up begins at 3:45 p.m. Please do not come in the building and wait for students before then. Instead, please wait outside the main gates with everyone else.
- 1st-3rd grade students exit through the main gates. 4th & 5th grade students exit through the gate at the north end of the front line.
- Please do not park illegally to pick up students. For everybody's safety, we need to keep the Red Zones clear.